Tuesday, March 1, 2011

PPD assignment

Assertiveness

A simple deed of kindness, it requires assertiveness. You may doubt how true it is, but it is always true for me, or rather that’s what I believe.
It slipped from the hand of the old man, landed on the floor solidly but with a soft “thud”. Half a minute ago, I just took the Gardenia bread from the shelf in a 7-Eleven, get queued and waited for my turn to pay. In front of me was an old man, holding a walking stick in his hand. I can’t remember what he held in another hand, but most probably is a newspaper, in the firm grip of his. All of it happened in a second.  He lost his grip. The stick fell on the floor.
A few thoughts raced across my mind at that moment.  The first of it is to bend down and to help the old man to pick up the stick. Just then, my logical thought intercepted, what if he can manage to pick it up himself without my help? And immediately followed by my defensive thought, don’t simply show your kindness to anyone you doesn’t even know, not to say in front of a crowd (everyone in the 7-Eleven had their eyes fixed on the old man). There’s the hesitation of a moment, a struggle and balancing between the two choices: to help or not to help.
Involuntarily, I turned towards the cashier. She gave me “it’s a matter of common sense” look, at the same time her finger pointing towards the walking stick lying on the floor. Following her finger, I saw the old man bend to reach his stick with much difficulty. I understood immediately, what is it for me to hesitate so long. Isn’t it something everyone (everyone with a caring heart) will do? I stretched my hand, but at the same moment he picked up the stick. He left the shop as if nothing had happened. I paid. I left.
I felt dizzy. What I have done? The whole way back I have been regretting, for a bad testimony I had portrayed. I don’t really care how others look at me, but the old man’s feeling. He must be feeling bad, helpless. If only I helped, it would have make his life easier and bring comfort to an miserable old man. But my selfishness had hold me back, like many other times, ignoring the need of help just in front of me, which wouldn’t need much time, much energy.
The need for our help lurked in every corner, every minute of our life. They may approach us at the most unexpecting  way. That will be a real test of our personality. A single act can change the life of a person and you can never estimate how massive the effect will be. I have failed many a times and I hoped that they won’t be anymore in future. Whenever there is need of help, there should be immediate lend of hand. Love will make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment